Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Are Icelanders racially tolerant to black and Asian people


Are Icelanders racially tolerant to black and Asian people?
I am going to work in Iceland (country) in a few weeks time with a few friends. It's only temporary for a few months. I am of Asian descent and one of my friends is from Africa. Are Icelanders tolerant to black and Asian people or will we expect to get racially abused?
Other - Europe - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Iceland is a very small (400,000) and VERY homogeneous country. It has been since its settlement by the Vikings, and it probably didn't have a single nonwhite citizen before a couple of decades ago. So I guess racism is only to be expected, realistically, but don't let that ruin your perception or experience of this phenomenal island country. Also, I didn't get the point about the black thing. Don't worry about more than you have to. Being Asian is pretty different from being black in Europe.
2 :
Expect to be racially abused? Iceland is a very civilised country, with a high living standard and a small but educated population, it's not Mississippi in the 50's, for Christ's sake. You just be polite and respectful and you'll have no problem. Btw, part of being respectful is reading about the country, its history and traditions etc. not assuming they are ignorant rednecks.
3 :
I've never been to Iceland but oddly enough I partied with a bunch of Icelanders who were vacationing in the Carribean and they made a bee line to me at the bar. One girl from their group who was clearly attached in someway to another guy in their group as well, jumped off of the dudes lap and onto mine. He did not look happy at all. And by the end of night me and this girl were making out pretty heavily. May have been a really open minded group of people that I came across but who knows.