Monday, December 14, 2009

Is this such a terrible baby name


Is this such a terrible baby name?
Me and my boyfriend are having a baby in July. Although both our families are thrilled for us and can't wait for him to be born, they're not so pleased with our choice of name. We're facing a lot of criticism from friends and family for wanting to call our baby boy Sindri, which is an Icelandic name. I worked in Iceland for a while and liked the name then, my boyfriend also loves the name but everyone says he'll be teased and its just a stupid name, which I think is quite hurtful!! Is it really so awful?
Baby Names - 19 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Use it as a middle name. It is weird.
2 :
GO WITH YOUR HEART GURL!
3 :
Noo! It's a lovely name! Icelandic names are really cool and I think Sindri is cute : ) ıts your chıld not your parents!!
4 :
yes, that is horrible. don't do that to your child
5 :
I think it sounds nice !!! At least it wont be too common anyway! xxx
6 :
Im also facing the fact that nobody likes the name my partner and i like. but in the end, its our child. People get use to any name you choose, i think anyway. So go for it. x
7 :
i think its cute but maybe better as a middle name?? but i think you should do whatever you want, so if its what you want you should go for it! i dont think he will be teased or bullied at all for it.
8 :
please dont name you're kid that. unles you want him to be made fun of for the rest of his life....
9 :
It's your child so your decision. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like any baby name that you choose, that's what makes life interesting. Personally I think it's a really cool name. I'm getting sick and tired of this baby name business, it's taken 19 weeks for me and my husband to agree on a boys name we both like, then I have to run it past my mother who thinks she has a right to choose. We finally all agreed that we love Gabriel and my step son sticks his nose in and says it's vile and my child will get teased and called gay! I say 'tough SH*T, if it's a boy he's Gabriel lol. Just a girls name to choose now lmao. Stick with Sindri, it's cool and unique and most of all he's your baby boy :)
10 :
Is your baby, not theirs... and if you and your boyfriend love it, don't let anyone change your mind. I think is really cute an unique...Good Luck!
11 :
I think it has a nice ring to it, and it's unique! You never know, it may become popular in a few years due to people hearing it. I remember the first time I heard the name 'Gage' I thought it was weird and awful, but look how many people are naming their baby boy Gage- that's just one example. Sindri sounds nice plus it has cultural roots- don't worry about what your family thinks, the name will grow on them too. My husband insisted on naming our last daughter Thessaly, which I had never heard of. My family would have been relentless but we didn't tell anyone her name until after she was born. Now I hear nothing but compliments about her name wherever we go, and she's proud of her name!
12 :
Well I believe it's your child so it's your decision. But personally I think it isn't a grreat name, and I would be with your family on that. It's up to you, but I have to agree that teasing will probably occur.
13 :
I think an awful lot of people will assume he's a girl. Maybe as a middle name? Plus, the obvious nickname is Sin, which is...kinda unfortunate.
14 :
If Sindri means a lot to you and you both love the name then I would use it. What does it mean? Oh it is a mythical dwarf - Old Norse. I like the sound of it. Team it with a traditional, masculine name that maybe even has a connection to the family or is popular in Scandinavia too: Sindri Frederick Sindri Alexander Sindri Barnabas Sindri Jonathon Sindri Nicholas Sindri James Sindri Johan
15 :
LOVE IT!!! I would tell everyone that youll wait to make a final decision until you meet him, that way they'll leave you alone!!
16 :
ur bby ur choice
17 :
Sindri sounds girly.
18 :
It might sound OK on an Icelandic child but of you're not Icelandic it will sound pretty odd, especially with an English surname. It sounds quite feminine which is probably why people think he might be teased. I would use it as a middle name rather than a first name.
19 :
Sindri means the one who shines or radiates. I find it beautiful :)