Monday, December 7, 2009

Moving/working in norway/iceland/ new zealand


Moving/working in norway/iceland/ new zealand?
Say I want to keep life simple, primitive and rural. Say that I've always been enthralled by the landscapes of New Zealand, Norway and Iceland and would do anything to move there and live a quiet life. Understand that I am sick of the fast-paced life here in the U.S. and want nothing more than to enjoy the wild and embrace friendly people and a new culture. Know too, that I am taking a "break" from school to determine what I really want to do with my life. With that said I am working an average, low-income job and would rather be happy somewhere else doing something I love. I most enjoy the prospect of a strenuous out of doors profession like farming, fishing, logging or preserving the land (like a forest ranger). I was curious if anyone knows of any source I can go to about pursuing such a dream. Be it a book, website, person, or community I would appreciate your input. As stated in the title, I wish to move to Norway, Iceland or New Zealand. I don't suppose it's easy to just get up and leave to become a fisherman in the fjords of Scandinavia with my fiancee....but that is my desire... Anyone with me or can help me?
Other - Destinations - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I'm looking for something very similar and unfortunately don't have a good answer. I'm a college age kid and work as a cook and lately I've been thinking that if I'm barely going to make any money I might as well do it in a place where I'm exited to be. I was told about an american girl who has worked in morocco, paris, greece, and belgium as a waitress, as english speakers are desired for hospitality/service jobs in tourist areas world wide. She found these openings online before even leaving, but I haven't been able to find a good site that lists openings like that. I just posted a question asking about good overseas employment sites so take a look at mine hopefully someone with some insight or experience will post something, and I'll keep an eye on yours. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AsTuwAbinVjVqLLpacpzCG3ty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110319011453AA3KgZj
2 :
I don't know about New Zealand and Iceland, but I know about Norway. I assume you're a US citizen and don't have an EU passport. Citizens of the EU are free to live and work in Norway because of the EEA agreement. The options for you is to maybe apply for a job in Norway, and then your job might fix you a temporary work visa. This is an alternative if you have a special skill that might be valuable for Norway. The other alternative is to become a student and apply for a student visa. I see you wrote that you're taking a break from school, but there are great universities and colleges in Norway. They are free for Norwegians, but I think you have to pay if you are American. To summarize here, I gave you some alternatives here, but I don't know whether they apply for you. Norway has strict immigration rules, and it may be a challenge for you to get here and live here. I can make this clear, you cannot just move here. A lot of arrangements must be made and requirements met. I recommend you to check the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration's website which I have linked on the bottom of this message. Most of Europe I think have the same requirements, but I am not completely sure. New Zealand I don't know. http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigration/ www.finn.no (Jobs in Norway)