Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How would an American be viewed in Iceland


How would an American be viewed in Iceland?
I would like to, in the future, live and work in Iceland. I plan on at least being at an advanced level of the Icelandic language when/if I move there. Since my impression is that Europeans aren't all that enthusiastic about Americans (dear god, I can't say I blame them. Going to Italy without so much as a phrase book and expecting everyone else to know English?), I'm wondering how I would be perceived. (I know Iceland isn't part of the actual European continent, but I wasn't sure what other category this belonged in.)
Other - Europe - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Iceland is in fact a part of Europe. If you are an American with a fair knowledge of the Icelandic language you will impress them greatly!
2 :
Iceland is very America friendly, and if you look at our culture closely it is much more "american" than "european". So it will be very easy for you to be and live here. Just don't tell us we are not a part of Europe. We don't like that. :)
3 :
Icelandic culture is somewhere in between European and American culture. We have a lot of influences from both, so we're probably more used to Americans and American culture than most other Europeans. Most Icelanders will welcome you with open arms, as long as you're respectful. You learning our language will definitely earn you many points. We like when immigrants try to adapt to our language and culture rather than expect us to adapt to theirs. By the way, Iceland is in Europe. It is not on the mainland of Europe, but it is still in Europe.